Resident of Florida

Are you currently a Florida resident?  If so, you have probably heard that our state has one of the lowest funding levels for persons with developmental disabilities in the country.

Therefore, you should know that if you decide you will need services from the State, especially under the Developmental Disabilities Home and Community Based Services Waiver, you will most likely face many years on a list waiting for services.  The link here will take you to The Agency for Persons with Disabilities, APD, website which will give you the name and number of the person in your area whom you have to contact in order to apply for services.

If you are out of school and looking for supports to assist you in securing employment, you may be able to more quickly access services from Vocational Rehabilitation, VR.  The link here will take you to the VR website which will give you the number to call to apply for services.

In some communities there are programs besides APD and VR to assist you.  You may want to contact your local school board to determine if they operate an Adults with Disabilities program you might be eligible to attend.

There are Centers for Autism and Related Disabilities, CARD, located around the state in universities.  Click here to see if there is a CARD center near you which may be able to assist you in meeting your needs.

Those individuals looking for residential placement may want to consider seeking placement in an Assisted Living Facility or ALF as they are known.  You should click here to learn more about ALF eligibility and locations.

In addition, some of the local Arc Chapters have limited funds available for scholarships to attend their day programs.  You may wish to contact the Arc Chapter  on our listing of local chapters in your community to determine if services might be available.